Owning a car in Japan costs $2300 to $3800 (300,000 to 500,000 yen) per year.
It is quite expensive, but in the area where I live, a car is a necessity.
Therefore, I have a car and save a lot of money.
I recommend the following to save on car maintenance costs
- Drive a car with lower displacement (in Japan, taxes and highway fees are lower).
- Live in a house with a parking space.
- Buy a used car
- Apply for insurance by yourself on the Internet (review annually).
- Change the oil frequently (it costs more, but you will benefit in the end because you will extend the life of your car).
- Don't buy a new car until it breaks down.
By doing these things, my car cost about $1500 (200,000 yen) per.